Soaking up Budapest

Something is amiss.

I'm not waking up to breakfasts of small hot cups of macchiato, a ridiculous range of soft cheeses and breads, or eggs made to order. I'm not checking my daily agenda for included and optional excursions, and there's no one to make slightly awkward small talk with at meals.

Nope, I'm definitely not on a Viking cruise ship anymore.

Last summer my mother invited me to join her for an eight-day Viking cruise on the Danube River, a trip Viking coins "The Danube Waltz." I'd never taken a cruise of any kind before, and she and I travel well together, so I quickly agreed. So on April 30, we took off from Charlotte, NC, enjoyed a brief layover in Munich, Germany, and touched down in Budapest, Hungary.

We boarded our ship, docked at the famous Chain Bridge on the eastern Pest side of the city, and took the first day to get our bearings and, most importantly, eat and sleep. We'd flown over on Lufthansa and while the service was efficient and we had an unoccupied seat between us, the plane meals were not great (who puts corn kernels in salads, pastas, etc? It's just weird.) and I didn't sleep at all on the plane.

While in Budapest (they pronounce it "Buda-pesht"), we toured the Buda side's hilltop Castle District with the Matthias Church and Fisherman's Bastion. It offered expansive views of the city below and the Roman Catholic church has quite the history, having been taken over by Muslims when the Turks conquered the city in the 16th century. I loved the church's colorful roof tiles and floor patterns.




My favorite part of touring Budapest was visiting the Széchenyi thermal bath, the largest in Europe and built in 1913. I didn't take pictures while there, but did receive this sweet chocolate brown bathing cap, which is required for swimming in the lap pool.


Mom and I opted out of a swim and instead tested about five of the spa's 21 indoor and outdoor heated soaking pools. You rent individual "cabins" to change into suits (no "nekkid" bathing allowed!) and to store your valuables, which you lock via a wristwatch-esque waterproof device. We visited during May Day on May 1, and it was crowded with locals enjoying their holiday. The indoor soaking pools were loud and full, but the larger outdoor pools were perfect for peak people-watching and poaching in the warm waters on the sunniest day of our trip.

A downside to traveling during the May Day holiday is that shops close, so I didn't get to visit any food markets or shop for the local spice of note, paprika. Hungarian paprika is sun-dried and can be either sweet or spicy. I didn't eat any goulash while there, but I did have a creamy paprika garlic soup on the ship that was terrific. 

Nearly all meals are included with the cruise, so we dined most of the time on the ship. Wine is included with dinner, which often featured the chef's recommended regional tasting menu of starter, entree, and dessert. I usually opted for that, and at least two glasses of white wine. Because vacation! I wish we'd had more time to eat at local places, but I guess there's always the next visit.  

Next up: Vienna! 

Comments

  1. So good to see you back, writing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's nice to have some time to get back into it.

      Delete
  2. Love your account of this amazing city!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't we have fun! Thank you for reading and commenting. :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment