Oh Hygge Yes: Soups for Making Your 2018 Cozy & Warm

On the first day of 2018, the scene is set. 

The fireplace is blazing. Our dog Loretta is curled up on the love seat next to me. Candles on the mantle are flickering. My small-ish second glass of red wine blooms warmly with each sip.


There's no Netflix on the TV.  No radio blaring the latest news.  


Quiet. Gentle. Cozy. 


I'll have a second and third helping of this in 2018, please and thank you. 


The Danish call it hygge, while the Scots have their Còsagach. Why is it that it takes a trendy "lifestyle term" from another country to sound so exotic and novel, when I'm pretty sure it's a basic and universal human desire to feel warm and content? 

While the temperatures dip down to the mid-teens tonight, I think of those who don't have a place to hunker down and snuggle up with loved ones. 




Comfort in a bowl. Grilled cheese. By the fire. This is LIVIN'

Warm Things Up: Super Soups

Need a meal to take the chill off? Here are two recent soup recipes I tried for the first time. They are officially Scott & Erin/Hungry Times Two-approved, plus Loretta's eager sniffs and inquisitive, sneaky maneuvers around the bowls indicate she too finds them quite appealing.
  • Tonight I used a jar of our garden San Marzano tomatoes canned last July to make a roasted tomato soup from the Nutrition Stripped cookbook, topped with toasted spiced pepitas leftover from last night's NYE potluck offering (below). Recipe deviation: I dolloped the yogurt instead of mixing it in. I can't find the recipe online but it's an easy mix of sweating onion, thyme and garlic, then adding broth and tomatoes, and simmering for 10 min. and topping with yogurt. Easy! I added a salad and grilled cheese panini, and hey, look, dinner is served, and it is FABULOUS. 
  • Our dish for an Indian-themed potluck was Cooking Light's Creamy Turmeric Cauliflower SoupThe toasted pepitas, or pumpkin seeds, really set it off, so don't skip that part. Really. Don't miss out. 
The wonderful thing about making your own soups is that you can skip all the added salt and sugars that are typically in most canned varieties. The last time Scott caught a cold, I served him Campbell's Tomato Soup, thinking he'd just love it and I would be the nurturing, thoughtful Wife of the Year. We both forgot how much of a sugar/salt bomb it really is. (I am pretty nurturing, though.)

Do you have a favorite soup recipe for winter meals? We'd love to know about it, so please share in the comments, or use whatever carrier pigeon or communication method is your choice. 


Disclosure: I'm bird-phobic so I prefer not to have any actual dealings with pigeons or any other winged creatures you may wish to send my way. No thank you, please.

Happy eating in 2018!

Comments

  1. My mother made minestrone soup...will find recipe shortly and deliver. Happy New Year sweet lady. And, you, too Miss Erin!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you make it for Scott? I know it's one of his most-requested soups and I didn't grow up with it, so definitely curious to see that recipe! Thanks for commenting - it's good to have eyes on the page here :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment