'Party Time, Excellent' Books: The Food Lab, Smitten Kitchen Every Day, Beard on Food, Farmette

One of my favorite pastimes is to visit the library & peruse new and old cookbooks.

I think this is probably most definitely violating copyright law, but when I check out cookbooks and find recipes that I like, I'll copy them and file them in my almighty 3-ring green food binder. This binder holds recipes torn from magazines and newspapers, family recipes emailed and handwritten, takeout menus, and paper menus from restaurants we've visited and enjoyed. It's my big book of food awesomeness, and I'm always in search of items to keep it growing.

When a friend mentioned the Food52 Cookbook Club on Facebook, I figured it would be a fun way to experiment with foods I might not normally cook, and to expand my horizons beyond the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Library stacks.



The Food Lab by J. Kenji López-Alt was my introduction to the club in November, a whopper of a read that was far more technical than I can appreciate. I don't care why conditions need to be perfect for fried chicken, just tell me how to get there. I didn't even attempt recipes from this one - kind of daunting when they can be 2+ pages long.

December brought Genius Recipes by Kristen Miglore, a collection of 100 "fool proof recipes" from "food luminaries." I don't recall cooking anything from this one, though Marcella Hazan's "perfect tomato sauce" looked simple yet delicious. I've promised myself that I'll save one of our jars of garden San Marzanos for this.

This month I skipped ahead to the March pick, Smitten Kitchen Every Day by Deb Perelman. And let me tell you, I am so happy I did. I went full Wayne's World on this one, just flipping through the book, a library copy, for 20 minutes.


Every recipe I've tried so far is excellent. From broccoli melts to spaghetti pangratto with crispy eggs, the recipes are just simple enough yet with a touch of something special. I even botched one recipe, following the initial steps for a romesco and chickpea bowl, not realizing I had no, well, chickpeas. I made the quick sausage, kale and crouton saute instead and topped it with the romesco sauce. Flavorful and easy. My favorite style! I was already familiar with the Smitten Kitchen blog, but these recipes are so good, they're worth buying in print.


Two current faves: Perelman and Beard

One book I've read off and on for about three months now is Beard on Food, by the late James Beard. A gift from one of Scott's aunts, this is an intriguing assortment of his essays and handy tidbits from his long culinary career. Published in 1974, it's a goldmine of midcentury-ish dishes and foodways, when escargot and French food in general was tres trendy. While I have no plans to try his recommendation for snails with herbed butter, I love little historical tidbits.
James Beard dropped this knowledge: Did you know avocados were once called "alligator pears"? Put those on some toast!
This gives me a reason to share one of the best things I cooked last summer - Crab Stuffed Avocados.

Well, HELLO THERE.
This is one of those "oh, I just whipped a little something up" that is damn sexy, luxurious and decadent, with the creamy, lightly charred avocado and wispy crab textures. And I made it for my Mother Margaret, ha! She's one of my favorite people to cook for, because she's always so appreciative and open to trying new things.

My final cookbook selection is for those with wanderlust, who dream of chucking it all and dashing across the ocean for love (or whatever suits your fancy), and who respect all things meat, dairy and carbs. The Farmette Cookbook: Recipes and Adventures from My Life on an Irish Farm by Imen McDonnell should do the trick.

A perfect read for winter cookery and baking inspiration, McDonnell shares her backstory -- American businesswoman falls for Irish farmer and joins his clan -- and well convinces readers that you, too, can make ricotta and farmer's cheese, soda bread, sausages and more. I only made her roasted potatoes "Jo Jos," in which basic wedges get a dredging of flour. Easy enough, and perfectly crispy without breaking out the deep fryer. If I had stronger baking skills, I'd be all over her recipes for scones, quick breads and more. 

For those of you who need help with meal planning and switching it up, I recommend visiting your local library branch for a few cookbooks. Have a great recent read? Please share it in the comments!

Comments

  1. No shame in copying recipes...how else do we share the goodness??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try Alton Brown's cinnamon rolls. OMG. Saturday morning is the best day ever when you have these with a really well prepared cup of coffee. Add as many chopped pecans as you can jam into the cinnamon filling and watch out. As the saying goes, you'd slap yo grandma for another one!
    Uncle Nancy
    P.S. Aunt Sharon got me the American Test Kitchen Cook Book for Christmas. Wow. Check the library for this one.
    Butter beans and rice to all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmmm those sound great! I need to bake more. I'll definitely look up the Test Kitchen book - thanks for the recc. Love y'all!

      Delete

Post a Comment