Bites.

Where Does General Tso Chicken Actually Come From?
From TED Radio Hour -- Takeaways: It's pronounced "Tsow" (rhymes with "Ow"). Fortune cookies don't exist in China. All the food we Americans think we know as Chinese really isn't. (It's still sweet and spicy goodness, though.)


We volunteered last week with these orgs, planting radishes and carrots in their plots at their main distribution center. It was great to meet some new people, get our hands dirty, and help out.  And they have a garden sign made of metal utensils - I want to make one for our yard. 

A carry-out and catering shop on the East side that employs women with records. The service was slow but the chocolate cake rocked, as did the kale soup loaded with veggies and the grilled pimento cheese sandwich. They're trying to attract more business, so CLT peeps get on it. 

Nashville
I'm visiting in a few weeks for work and I'm ready to go! I'll hang at my former station WPLN and though free time is scarce, see friends while we imbibe at Corsair Distillery,  enjoy some bocce, karaoke or other shenanigans at Pinewood Social, and dine at Husk (the seond outpost, original is in Charleston.) All of this cropped up after I moved in 2010. The city is even cooler... didn't know that was possible. 

Eastern North Carolina
So perhaps I once referred to this neck of the woods as "the armpit of the state," I've since changed my mind after watching A Chef's Life with chef Vivian Howard. The Peabody Award-winning series profiles her Kinston restaurant The Chef & The Farmer, her life working with husband Ben, her cute toddler twins, and how she sources local food for the restaurant. I have reservations with friends at the end of the month --so thrilled! Once strawberries are in season, I'll make her Strawberry Shortcake with Basil Whipped Cream and Coconut Cornbread. And now The Armpit Award goes to Greenville or Fayetteville instead... sorry y'all. The Piedmont and Western North Carolina rule.

Speaking of Strawberries
Isn't this planter the best? $1.47 at a thrift shop last weekend and now it's in my kitchen, being all gloriously red and berrylicious.


Antico in Atlanta
Pizza, Napoli-style. So good. Next door there's a gelato store that also sells roast chicken and pasta. Go. Just go.

Comments