Skip to main content

Travel Tip: Seagrove, NC

You know when you own too much of something and you make a promise you won't buy any more of it? Some women do this with shoes or scarves or pretty sparkly jewelry. My problem purchases: pottery.

So it's no real surprise that when I traveled to Seagrove, NC on my day off on Monday with my lovely mother -- who's no shopping slouch herself -- that I would return with goodies. It had to happen. Conditions were perfect.

Seagrove, located in the Middle of Nowhere, NC, or south of Asheboro (yup, out in B.F.E.), is a pottery mecca.  Only 228 people live there (according to the 2010 Census) yet it's home to over 100 potteries, many of whom date back eight or nine generations. It's really beautiful stuff for the most part -- maybe the exception is the popular face jug.

Below is a practical pottery item I just had to have: a bowl handy for soup, large cups of coffee, etc. It's made with Yuengling Beer bottles by Lantern Hill Pottery.



Check out this adorable tiny bud vase, which I filled with a few camellias from my great-uncle Arlie's home in Ramseur, NC. (We stopped by to visit with him briefly after pottery shopping.) The crystalline glazed vase  is from a small shop within walking distance to Lantern Hill off of Main St. but unfortunately I didn't keep their business card and the inscription is too small to read on the vase's bottom.




The next purchase just leapt off the shelf at me while browsing at Lantern Hill. My "signature color" in the kitchen is red, but for some reason I was drawn to the cobalt and orange combination, and the small band of brown in between. The orange is vivid and I don't know why I love it, but I do. This piece will hold flowers, a chilled bottle of wine, or some kitchen utensils quite nicely.



I didn't buy this piece, but it was gifted to us from our so so so awesome Aunt Sharon (thank you, thank you, thank you!) last weekend. She found this Seagrove piece made by the aptly-named Potts family of potters in the gift shop at the Mint Museum here in Charlotte. Can you tell what this dude is? He's functional.


Give up? He's an egg separator! Crack the egg, pour out the white from his "mouth". Pretty terrific, right?

I probably should stop with the kitchenware and the pottery purchases, but it IS all useful in some way. And we're supporting the local economy, right? I think it's OK.

One tip if you visit Seagrove: I rarely bash a place, but avoid, avoid, AVOID the Seagrove Family Restaurant. The food was serviceable at best, our server bused tables like a bull in a china shop, and the restrooms were neither heated nor clean. Take a picnic instead!

Off to make Hueveos Rancheros for dinner -- I might just try out my new egg separator! What new fun kitchen tool or technique have you discovered? Let us know in the comments section!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Best Way to Keep Cannoli Fresh and Other Baltimore Stories

My mom and step-dad were up visiting for Thanksgiving and after gorging ourselves on turkey and the sites of D.C., I took them on a day-trip to Baltimore.

After a visit to my mom's favorite museum (she's a mosaic artist), we aimed for lunch at Rocket to Venus in Hampden. It was closed for lunch, but our trip up Charles St. wasn't for naught - we stumbled onto residents of 34th St. setting up their Christmas displays! This street is Christmas at its best, or worst, depending on your tolerance/interest in all things Christmas. Erin teases me for being a scrooge, but I have to admit, lights and what-not are nice at this cold and dark time of year.

After a brief walk through Hampden, we aimed for lunch at Kooper's Tavern in Fells Point. The tavern was most certainly open, with rowdy sports fans packing the bar and even spilling onto the sidewalk for fresh-shucked oysters. (My friend Gideon would have camped out right there for their Chincoteagues!) After some deliberati…

Adventures in Gardening

We're back with another edition of "Hey, we used to be bloggers." I am not so sure who reads blogs much anymore (hi Moms!) but hell, if e-newsletters are in again and the '90s "flatform" shoe is making a comeback, maybe we have a shot.

As I nurse a gin and tonic made of nothing but the finest (here's to you, cheap Chek tonic cans from the Mount Pleasant, SC Bi-Lo - sometimes you just buy things to get the job done, especially when you're en route to Vacation Weekend after a slight detour to fix a flat tire on I-26...), I'm mulling over what's happening so far in our garden plots. 
We went Tomato Crazy this year, planting 6+ mixed varieties in our raised beds that kinda-sorta get sufficient sunlight in our backyard, and 8 seedlings in one of our two Winterfield Community Garden plots. Hopefully we'll soon pick beautiful Red Delicious, San Marzano, Black Krim, Blue Gold Cherry, Brandywine, and a few "mystery" tomatoes, and I can …

Tea Time

Fall finally decided to show up here in Charlotte, NC this week.

Hoodies and sweaters were pulled out of closets, socks and slippers donned for the first time in months, and denim could be worn comfortably.

Oh denim. I've never understood people who wear jeans in Southern humidity. They're like sweaty straightjackets for your legs and torso. Skin was meant to breathe, y'all.

So with a chill in the air, one must make certain adjustments in all areas of life, from the closet to the kitchen. Gin & tonics are replaced with red wine. We buy apples and dried fruit for cereal instead of berries. And I trade daily cold drinks of seltzer for my favorite comfort of the cooler seasons - tea.

Scott & I share an affinity for tea, and we have our rituals. "Tea and Books and Bed" is a totally innocent affair that involves piling up with reading material and decaffeinated brews. You do have to watch Scott with tea - one drowsy moment can result in a messy spill, turning …