Something Smells Fishy

As a lover of all the fruits of the sea, I have really wondered about this awful cluster of an oil spill's effect on the seafood down in Louisiana and Florida, NC even.

So sayeth an FDA staffer:

"Our goal both collectively, FDA and NOAA, is to make sure that fish that have become contaminated or might become contaminated are kept off of the market so that they don't get to the consumers, so consumers don't have to ask themselves, 'Is the fish I'm about to buy safe?"

I really love shrimp, scallops and oysters, and though I hate seeing the photos of oil-soaked birds (and this comes from a straight-up bird loather), my heart really goes out to the sea. I've always felt a strong attachment to the ocean and I hate the idea of coastlines being ravaged and the environs and organisms in them being devastated and depleted.

According to the Monterey Bay Aquarium - a top authority in seafood sustainability - "the spill will affect many popular commercial seafood species and the people who depend on them for a living: wild shrimp from the Gulf of Mexico and South Atlantic; snappers caught in the same waters; wild Eastern oysters; groupers; U.S. farmed oysters; and U.S. farmed shrimp."

You need to know the origin of what you're eating when ordering or purchasing seafood. If you need help, the MBA's guide is always helpful.

Comments

  1. I can't watch the news anymore. I was told that the BP disaster is like 1 Exxon Valdez every week. One thing I will say is that the news media is calling this the worst environmental disaster in history, but I am not certain. It may be the worst in the Gulf of Mexico, but the worst N.A. land disaster was the dust bowl.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment