Cuckoo for Couscous

I've made the hell out of some couscous lately! On Friday I made this recipe of beef patties with couscous and a Greek-style salad. I improvised and made a little sauce to go on top of the beef patties (more like meatballs, but whatevs) that had a little sour cream, tiny bit of milk, one clove of crushed garlic, some lemon zest and some dill. It was a big hit with my mom - she even asked me for the "recipe" for the sauce.

Last night I threw together a meal of potatoes, red and yellow bell peppers, garlic, eggplant and onion roasted with olive oil, rosemary and some Greek seasoning, some leftover leg of lamb that was INCREDIBLE (I know, I'm boasting but I'd never made lamb before, and wow. This recipe is kinda "killer," as one of Scott's uncles would say), sauteed spinach with pine nuts, nutmeg and lemon juice, and some couscous mixed with chopped mint and dried apricots (which I plumped up in warm water first before adding).

I like couscous because sometimes white rice gets old and brown rice, though I love it, takes forever to prepare. Sometimes pasta is too rich and heavy. Sometimes grits just don't work with food outside of the Southern foodscape. Sometimes Quinoa is just too damn healthy and a little weird. And that's why couscous is a winner - all you do is boil water, throw in the couscous, and take the pot off the heat and let it do its thing. Plus, it's just fun to say! Cooooooos-coooooooos.

Traditionalists would use a couscoussière to steam their couscous. I'm not that fancy. (But I bet you already knew that.)

It's Wednesday - two days til Friday! Hope you're having a great and tasty week thus far!

Comments

  1. Man, this post makes me crave some Goose-cous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously! I miss the Silly Goose AND their honey beet ice cream. Good Lord. I drool.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment