Skip to main content

Hot tea

I've been studying, and studying, and STUDYING for a professional certification exam I have on Monday, and hot tea's been accompanying me. At night, it's decaf or herbal. During the day, it's 6-minute steeped caffeine to the rescue.

I've had decaf British breakfast, which an interesting side-note. The tea is Tetley's, which is British, but upon further investigation of the box, I notice "A TATA Industries company ." TATA? Isn't that the same Indian company that's making those $2,500 mini-cars, The Nano? YES! It is indeed an interesting example of globalisation, and quite ironic that an Indian company is buying up a British company. That reminds me of an intersesting book I just read, The Post-American World. It's written by an Indian-American author, so there are plenty of parallels between the British Empire and America's current dominance.

Anyway, back to food/drink. Oh wait, I can't get away from the topic of India since I've been drinking a ton of chai tea lately. Stash makes a great decaf and regular version. I let it steep about 6 minutes (I like tea to be strong), add 2 or 3 spoons of sugar and then a splash of milk. A former boss of mine noted how he didn't like milk in hot tea, or hot tea much for that matter. I teased him that perhaps it's a "nasty British habit." Still, I love the taste of hot tea with a little milk in it, especially chamomile tea. Chamomile, plus a little milk and honey (literally, not just in the Biblical sense) usually puts me or Erin right to sleep.

Finally, one last note I'll make about hot tea is that it's "proper tea." By that, I allude to my summer working in a youth hostel in Boston, where about half my co-workers were Irish. The girls would gather around for a pot of Bewley's and wrinkle their nose at my thirst for sweet iced-tea (blame my Georgia upbringing, and my step-mom Judy would be so proud of me now to know that I actually like sweet iced-tea), saying, "That's not proper tea." "Well," I'd tease them, "when you grow up in a sub-tropical climate, 90 degrees and humid, hot tea's just not what you want." I suppose if it's constantly overcast, about 50-65 degrees and the peat fire's burning low, then heat tea is in good order. : ) No offence to any Irish, English or Australian friends (even those of Irish descent, Sinead!)

Comments

  1. Tata also owns Jaguar and Land Rover.

    As the American son of an English mother, I grew up on hot tea and always had a thermos of it in my red plaid lunchbox at elementary school back in the early Sixties. We had some interesting scenes back then when the family would go to visit relatives in South Carolina - imagine a truck stop in the middle of the night with a waitress trying to be nice: "Waaal, honey, we kin heat up some ice tea for ya..."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Best Way to Keep Cannoli Fresh and Other Baltimore Stories

My mom and step-dad were up visiting for Thanksgiving and after gorging ourselves on turkey and the sites of D.C., I took them on a day-trip to Baltimore.

After a visit to my mom's favorite museum (she's a mosaic artist), we aimed for lunch at Rocket to Venus in Hampden. It was closed for lunch, but our trip up Charles St. wasn't for naught - we stumbled onto residents of 34th St. setting up their Christmas displays! This street is Christmas at its best, or worst, depending on your tolerance/interest in all things Christmas. Erin teases me for being a scrooge, but I have to admit, lights and what-not are nice at this cold and dark time of year.

After a brief walk through Hampden, we aimed for lunch at Kooper's Tavern in Fells Point. The tavern was most certainly open, with rowdy sports fans packing the bar and even spilling onto the sidewalk for fresh-shucked oysters. (My friend Gideon would have camped out right there for their Chincoteagues!) After some deliberati…

Adventures in Gardening

We're back with another edition of "Hey, we used to be bloggers." I am not so sure who reads blogs much anymore (hi Moms!) but hell, if e-newsletters are in again and the '90s "flatform" shoe is making a comeback, maybe we have a shot.

As I nurse a gin and tonic made of nothing but the finest (here's to you, cheap Chek tonic cans from the Mount Pleasant, SC Bi-Lo - sometimes you just buy things to get the job done, especially when you're en route to Vacation Weekend after a slight detour to fix a flat tire on I-26...), I'm mulling over what's happening so far in our garden plots. 
We went Tomato Crazy this year, planting 6+ mixed varieties in our raised beds that kinda-sorta get sufficient sunlight in our backyard, and 8 seedlings in one of our two Winterfield Community Garden plots. Hopefully we'll soon pick beautiful Red Delicious, San Marzano, Black Krim, Blue Gold Cherry, Brandywine, and a few "mystery" tomatoes, and I can …

Tea Time

Fall finally decided to show up here in Charlotte, NC this week.

Hoodies and sweaters were pulled out of closets, socks and slippers donned for the first time in months, and denim could be worn comfortably.

Oh denim. I've never understood people who wear jeans in Southern humidity. They're like sweaty straightjackets for your legs and torso. Skin was meant to breathe, y'all.

So with a chill in the air, one must make certain adjustments in all areas of life, from the closet to the kitchen. Gin & tonics are replaced with red wine. We buy apples and dried fruit for cereal instead of berries. And I trade daily cold drinks of seltzer for my favorite comfort of the cooler seasons - tea.

Scott & I share an affinity for tea, and we have our rituals. "Tea and Books and Bed" is a totally innocent affair that involves piling up with reading material and decaffeinated brews. You do have to watch Scott with tea - one drowsy moment can result in a messy spill, turning …