Send it Back

Funny reoccurring theme in my world of restaurant outings lately...

One disastrous meal with two friends at a Texas Roadhouse in Hendersonville, TN (a.k.a. middle of nowhere, bad strip mall area choices). Basically, my friends shared a rib platter and a filet Mignon entree, only to discover upon first bite that the steak was enveloped in what tasted and smelled of lighter fluid. Server takes steak back to kitchen. Manager comes out to deny existence of lighter fluid in the kitchen. Check comes. Steak still on the bill. Server gets manager. Manager asks us where the steak went. My friends point out that it's not their job to ensure the offending meat gets to the manager. Manager denies multiple times that the cooks use lighter fluid. Friends ask again for steak to be removed from the bill. Finally the manager gets it, the bill is taken care of, and we move on to our chick flick at the movies. (It was "P.S. I Love You." P.S. - Two out of three of us didn't love the movie. I for the record have no problem with Gerard Butler and a little melodrama.)

Second incident: Friday night Scott and I went out to Mad Donna's, a new place in the former Radio Cafe space in our old 'hood, East Nashville. Great renovation, a major gay vibe (hello, in a place called Mad Donna's, go figure), and a neat patio space.
I ordered a stuffed burger and much to my dismay, it was stuffed, but not so much cooked. I don't do rare/raw/pink, so I had to send it back. Twenty minutes later, after Scott finished his entree, my new burger arrived, still pink in the middle. I ate what I could salvage, and though the manager and the server were beyond amazing, I left with a bad taste in my mouth. The burger was charged to the check, but drinks were free and they gave us a free dessert (a tiramisu cupcake that tasted nothing like tiramisu.)
Scott believes in the month rule for new restaurants - one month to work the kinks out. I wish we held to the rule this time around.

I never like to cause a "scene" but I do feel that food safety is important. Beef shouldn't taste of chemicals and it should be properly cooked as to ensure no unpleasant poisoning.

Hope everyone had a great Easter weekend! I tried...

Comments

  1. Hi HTT, food bloggers unite! The cooking class degenerated to a social thing after you left, and Susan never got to the last dish. Oh well. And looking back at some of your posts, I am all about real sugar and butter, not the fake stuff. I got a 2 year old bag of Slenda that I have no idea what to do with it. Perhaps toss it like the Z stuff is in order. The confounding thing to me is that while in France and Brussels for almost 2 weeks eating butter, cream, cream sauces, tons of cheeses, fatty organ meats and sausages, fried potatoes (nearly daily) and downing wine and beer like a drunk, I did not gain wt. I come home and had fruit for breakfast, a salad for lunch, side salad and miso and 10 pieces of sushi for dinner, and only coffee and water for beverages and I gained 2 lbs. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment