East Nashville restaurants, etc.

Hey, it's me again, the slack, lurking co-writer of this blog known as Scott!

I had lunch at Z's Deli, a great little sandwich place in East Nashville's 5 Points area today. I know it's no Marche, but hey, more often than not, that's a good thing. For me personally, I seek out food that's tasty, reasonably priced and served without hype or pretension. Z's is just that.

Oddly enough, I had dinner in 5 Points too. After arriving home to acrid, burnt-popcorn, Erin and I decided we'd be better off eating dinner outside of the blast-zone. (No offense to you Erin, it was the microwaves fault.) As for microwave popcorn, when they say "Stop the microwave when popping reaches 2-5 second intervals, they are NOT screwing around! : )

Alas, we ate on the patio at The Alley Cat, a Tex-Mex place tucked on the alley behind Battered and Fried. I had fajitas, but I was a bit disappointed in that the cool, big black sizzling pan with peppers, meat, etc. didn't' come out, just a plate with artfully arranged tequila chicken and some red peppers. Erin lucked out with a homemade tamale, the remainder of which I gladly finished off. Still, the food was pretty good, and perhaps the same might be true of Rosepepper Cantina (up and over on Eastland Ave., in East Nashville) if I could find something on the menu I liked. Overall, I suppose it's the disappointment and likelihood that Mexican food prepared by non-Mexicans is going to be suspect. Sorry Rosepepper and Alley Cat, you're great bars (margaritas on patios are never a bad thing), who serve "okay" food, but you're no Nolensville Pike. Pollos y Mariscos Lopez, a converted gas station on Nolensville Pike, is the REAL DEAL!

It's late, so I'll dream of the Trader Joe's sourdough toast, orange slices and coffee I'm having for breakfast tomorrow. Who says you ever have to stop thinking of food? : )

Comments

  1. Wow! I impressed. 2 times in one year. That is awesome! :)

    Thanks for the heads up on Alley Cat. It was on my list but I think I'll try Lopez's instead.

    Jenne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I am always telling Erin to give Rosepepper another chance I will have to chime in here. I love the flautas and the chimichanga. But I definitely don't consider it Mexican food in the traditional sense.

    And I should not read this blog when I'm already hungry!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer Rosepepper to Alley Cat. But the patio at Alley Cat can't be beat on a nice day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment