Skip to main content

Pour Some Sugar on...my Oatmeal

In continuation of the real vs. artificial theme (see last week's Butter/Margarine post), I am also reconsidering my stance on sugar and artificial sweeteners.
With my new WW plan, sugar and honey are verboten, but I can have all the Splenda, Sweet-n-Low, and saccharine tablets I want. YUM.

Growing up, my mom used a 50/50 mix of sugar and fake stuff in her sweet tea and I bought into it too for a while. I tried using Splenda, because it's marketed as "made from natural sugar." Granted, Splenda has less of an aftertaste than the more aspartame/saccharine stuff, but it's no sweet treat.

A few weekends ago I made a trip to Whole Paycheck in Green Hills to see if they had any natural calorie free sweeteners. I found something called "Z" natural sweetener. It's okay in flavored teas like chai, but in coffee or on oatmeal it is wretched. I spent nearly $13 on the bag, so I feel sort of obligated to use it instead of chucking it in the trash.

I want to adhere to the WW plan as much as possible, but I don't know that my potential healthier, body-loving life will be better/healthier/"new and improved" with fake foods like margarine and Splenda. I live for honey drizzled on oatmeal, apple slices and yogurt. I want to taste the good coffee we spent $10 bucks on per pound instead of the chemical after-burn of fake sweetener. All in moderation, right?

In the WW meeting last night I was tempted to shake up the joint by asking the meeting leader if WW has a particular stance on artificial foods, but I think my inquiry would be viewed as a stubborn holdover for butter and sugar. Would it be hypocritical to follow parts of the plan and not others?

I think not, as I want success and body confidence, but I don't know that I can have it on the terms of ingesting things I don't think are natural or safe. Here are two articles on fake sweeteners: effect on metabolism and cancer.

Changes in my habits I see forthcoming:
1) No Diet Cokes. Eh, they're not that great to begin with. Reg. Coke is waaaay too sweet. High fructose is just as evil, IMHO. So no sodas altogether. Good thing I like water.
2) No freepouring on the sugar canister. We have one of those diner-style glass sugar holders that have the little flap on top. One teaspoon should do it.
3) Tossing out the Z fake sweetener bag. It gets an "F" for taste.
4) Throwing out the Brummel & Brown tub and the spray bottle of I Can't Believe I Use This Crap. Buying butter. Using only a little each time.

One day 'til Friday... Whoop, whoop!

Comments

  1. Again, a big hell no on the fake food syndrome. I mean, really, are you going to eat a cup of sugar a day? A few sprinkles of the real deal won't sabotage the WW plan, I do believe. And, if the food tastes crappy with artificial additives....why bother?
    A hint for sugar...I buy those little paper packets and use them....for portion control. Yes, I am littering the planet with MORE paper but I'm watching my sugar intake!!
    Keep up the good work!!
    Scott's Mama

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Best Way to Keep Cannoli Fresh and Other Baltimore Stories

My mom and step-dad were up visiting for Thanksgiving and after gorging ourselves on turkey and the sites of D.C., I took them on a day-trip to Baltimore.

After a visit to my mom's favorite museum (she's a mosaic artist), we aimed for lunch at Rocket to Venus in Hampden. It was closed for lunch, but our trip up Charles St. wasn't for naught - we stumbled onto residents of 34th St. setting up their Christmas displays! This street is Christmas at its best, or worst, depending on your tolerance/interest in all things Christmas. Erin teases me for being a scrooge, but I have to admit, lights and what-not are nice at this cold and dark time of year.

After a brief walk through Hampden, we aimed for lunch at Kooper's Tavern in Fells Point. The tavern was most certainly open, with rowdy sports fans packing the bar and even spilling onto the sidewalk for fresh-shucked oysters. (My friend Gideon would have camped out right there for their Chincoteagues!) After some deliberati…

Tea Time

Fall finally decided to show up here in Charlotte, NC this week.

Hoodies and sweaters were pulled out of closets, socks and slippers donned for the first time in months, and denim could be worn comfortably.

Oh denim. I've never understood people who wear jeans in Southern humidity. They're like sweaty straightjackets for your legs and torso. Skin was meant to breathe, y'all.

So with a chill in the air, one must make certain adjustments in all areas of life, from the closet to the kitchen. Gin & tonics are replaced with red wine. We buy apples and dried fruit for cereal instead of berries. And I trade daily cold drinks of seltzer for my favorite comfort of the cooler seasons - tea.

Scott & I share an affinity for tea, and we have our rituals. "Tea and Books and Bed" is a totally innocent affair that involves piling up with reading material and decaffeinated brews. You do have to watch Scott with tea - one drowsy moment can result in a messy spill, turning …

Adventures in Gardening

We're back with another edition of "Hey, we used to be bloggers." I am not so sure who reads blogs much anymore (hi Moms!) but hell, if e-newsletters are in again and the '90s "flatform" shoe is making a comeback, maybe we have a shot.

As I nurse a gin and tonic made of nothing but the finest (here's to you, cheap Chek tonic cans from the Mount Pleasant, SC Bi-Lo - sometimes you just buy things to get the job done, especially when you're en route to Vacation Weekend after a slight detour to fix a flat tire on I-26...), I'm mulling over what's happening so far in our garden plots. 
We went Tomato Crazy this year, planting 6+ mixed varieties in our raised beds that kinda-sorta get sufficient sunlight in our backyard, and 8 seedlings in one of our two Winterfield Community Garden plots. Hopefully we'll soon pick beautiful Red Delicious, San Marzano, Black Krim, Blue Gold Cherry, Brandywine, and a few "mystery" tomatoes, and I can …