Christmas with Jack Frost? Hell no - Jack Daniels!

I urged Scott to post about our trip to Lynchburg this past weekend, but he must have too many work projects or maps to draw, as he's not rushing to the blog anytime soon.



Lynchburg, about 75 miles south of Nashville, is the home of the iconic Jack Daniels Distillery. With a population hovering around 6,000 people, the small town IS Jack Daniels. With a space on the National Register of Historic Places, the distillery is the oldest registered of its kind in the country, official since 1866. 80 warehouses on 1200 acres busily produce good 'ol Tennessee Whiskey, and here's the kicker:



Lynchburg's in a dry county.



You can see it, smell it, touch it, but you can't taste it. The only thing you'll get at the distillery's White Rabbit Saloon is a cool glass of lemonade dipped out of a JD barrel. Commemorative bottles are available for sale as an exception to the antiquated liquor law - I didn't check the price at the distillery store but I'd rather pay less at my local Frugal MacDougals.



Entire barrels of Jack Daniel Single Barrel are available to whiskey quaffers at only $8,000.

You get a commemorative plaque with your $8K worth of whiskey cases and the original barrel in which the whiskey was cultivated, plus a spot on the wall of Jack Daniels barrel purchasers.

Next time I have $8k just hanging about, I know what to do with it.



The barrels are handmade by coopers in Louisville, KY and the water used for the whiskey comes straight from cave water source directly on the distillery grounds. Tons of charcoal is used to filter the JD - it's disgusting seeing the brown alcohol mellowing in chunky pellets of charcoal, but it's doing some good work, obviously.

Mighty J.D. - He only stood Five Two!
Fact: Jack Daniels died of gangrene in 190-something or other after an infection set in when he injured his foot trying to kick open his office safe. Wonder if he trying pouring his product over his wound to disinfect? Dumbass.



Now it just wouldn't be right to come to Lynchburg, TN, tour the distillery, and not be intrigued by an eating establishment called Miss Mary Bobo's Boarding House.



When I was little, we called shoes that looked cheap, ugly or threadbare "bobo" for some reason.

Miss Mary's was no such thing.



Jack Daniel's great-grandniece Lynne Tolley converted the boarding house's rooms into dining rooms and serves two afternoon "dinner" to guests each day except Sunday. (Of course, what other self-respecting establishment in the Bible Belt wouldn't?)

Reservations are a must, as people often book their places at the table a year in advance. I lucked out and scored two lunch seats for 1 p.m. Sunday.



Everything about Miss Mary Bobo's BH is very proper. A bell rings to signal "dinner" is ready, then you follow your dinner hostess to the table for 10. After seated, you go around the table and make introductions, and then start passing the hot plates of food to your left (naturally!), family style.



Our hostess Miss Anna Cook told us all about Miss Mary Bobo's As we ate the holiday menu

(turkey and stuffing, country ham, sweet potatoes (laced with JD), green beans (also JD laced, I think), macaroni and cheese, cranberry relish, rolls, and I forget what else - soooooooooooo heavy and fattening, yet so damn good).



It turned out our co-over eaters at the table all seemed to know eachother, as they hailed from the big metropolis of Deason and also Murfreesboro, TN. Much was discussed over the high school girl's basketball team success and who knew so and so's neighbor and cousin from this and that place. Scott and I just smiled, nodded, and kept shoveling the food in.



For dessert we enjoyed coffee and cherry cobbler topped with Jack Daniels whipped cream. Scott bought me an early Christmas present, "Cooking With Jack," so I can find out just how many different food items you can "infuse" with the whiskey. My guess is that the concepts are limitless!



Jenne and I are going to make some Christmas food goodies next week, so I hope to try my hand at the Chocolate Bourbon Truffles to take to Augusta. Because I have a feeling that just might be up the Adams family's alley. ;-) Ya'll know I luuuuuuuv ya.



All in all, it was a fun way to spend a December afternoon. Plus, it made me grateful not to reside in a dry county. Luckily, Nashville's about as "wet" as it can be!



Speaking of which, I enjoyed my first champagne tasting last night with friends at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. I learned that most of us are brand whores - who can refuse a little Dom Perignon, Veuve Clicquot or Moet? It just wouldn't be prudent. But seriously, if I ever feel the need for a little celebration bubbly worthy of a little upscale spending, I know exactly what to get. Sugardaddy, bring me some Moet Nectar Imperial, stat!



Here's an article and recipe for choco bourbon balls - Kentucky also claims bourbon whiskey, but then they went and added chocolate to the equation. Hats off to them!



Over and out, as I can't be on here all day, though I'd love to.



-E

Comments