Icky Icky, Oh No.

Nothing can really take away the stinging disappointment of a bad meal. Particularly when you're starving, you're craving the hell out of one particular thing, you open your mind (and wallet) up to a new place, and it totally lets you down.
On Friday I was jonesing for some pizza, as it's been months since I've had it. Scott and I headed over to our old hood of East Nashville to Pizza Real, as did everyone else on that side of town. They put Greek yogurt-based cheese called labne on their pizzas and it is magnificent dairy beyond belief. So we were in for quite a wait so we headed for over the river to Da Vincis, where they do a great cornmeal-dusted crust. On the way, we spotted a new place right across from LP Field called Nashville's Most Wanted Pizza.
A bit of a misnomer, I should say. The first clear sign of "Run, Run!" was the cheap Dollar Store jar candle of Cherry Blossom Vanilla (label still on) foulness burning in the center of the table and the weird mix of Marilyn Monroe and sports art on the wall. I know you can't eat the decor but still, it didn't bode well.
When we ordered beer and waters, the waters came to us in plastic bottle form. Strike one for green efforts. Then the salad was ho-hum. The pizza came to us with a pre-formed crust, most likely frozen, hard and flavorless. I could have honestly made a better pizza at home with one of those Boboli crusts. Bah.
So I didn't get my pizza fix quite the way I hoped. The sad part of it was that the owners were there, talking with the patrons very chummily, telling us they moved to Nashville from Colorado and were here to take a chance on the location, as it was previously what they called an "awful barbecue joint." Well, maybe the spot is cursed, because I predict it will be rolling over to another poor sucker soon enough.
In better food news, Scott rolled out the Crock Pot for its inaugural run this weekend. He did a terrific beef stew and last night's Tortilla Soup was perfect. Great comfort food, as my nose has been running all day and the nights getting darker earlier are bringing in the blues.

Comments

  1. Molly and I LOVEED this title....and we had a similar experience last night, shrugged and said, "icky, icky" oh well"!
    Thank you for a quick and easy summary of mediocre to bad dining experiences...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment