Spread 'Em!

Okay, cheesy bad blog title.
I made a whopping three spreads/dips/what-have-you this weekend for Super Bowl fun times.
First one: Curried Sweet Potato. Rather than hunt down the recipie, I'll just tell you what I did.
1) cut up 1 sweet potato into chunks, roasted it at 350 degrees for about 25 min.
2) meanwhile blanched 1/2 onion and two chopped carrots, drained water afterwards.
3) Blended the whole mix with 1/4 tsps. curry powder and cumin, salt and pep to taste.
Verdict: Yum. Different, not your average white creamy spread thing. I served it with bagel chips and I quite enjoyed it. This went to Jenne's house.

Second: Roasted Red Pepper and White Bean
1) Broiled one red pepper in oven for about five minutes, or until my fire alarm went off. Peeled skins off pepper.
2) Blended it and one drained can of white beans (big great white northern kind) with i tbsp. tahini, salt and pepper and 1 tsp. rosemary and a post-taste tsp. of red pepper flakes.
Verdict: I want to love it, but I only kinda liked it. But that didn't stop me from polishing it off last night after work and yoga. This originally went to Miss Virginia's place for pseudo-football watching fun times.

Third: Hummus
1) Blended drained can of chickpeas, 1 tbsp. tahini, 1/4 tsp. red pepper, 1/2 tbsp. club soda, salt and pepper.
Verdict: Eh. This languishes presesntly in our fridge. It will be the next victim of my post-exercise frenzy. Damn, where are the crackers?

I really like this type of thing, because you can mix all kinds of stuff together to just see what works. The downside is that you can have a taste and then another little taste and then suddenly the whole flippin' bowl of dip is polished clean. Or, do what Jenne did and juggle the proportion of chips to dip on your plate. Too many chips, not enough dip. You overcompensate and then have to reach for more chips, and then the whole crazy thing starts over.

More food shenanigans to follow...

Comments